Pages

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

The Falling of Love Blog Tour

HURTING HER WAS NEVER PART OF HIS PLAN



Marisa Oldham is the kind of author that can make an emotional wreck out of you when she writes. She manages to evoke strong enough feelings that the reader is brought to tears. This is a true gift for a writer to cause such emotional turmoil in a reader. I will admit I almost succumbed to a desire to throw my nook across the room in a fit of anger a few times when I would much rather have slapped quite a few of the characters. I also was completely crushed several times in the book and I made sure to tell her so. I also could NOT rave enough about the ending. I wont give it away but the ENDING!!! You MUST read this book, it will crawl inside you and become part of you. Grace, Ian, Jaden and Michelle will become the air you breathe and make you crazy to read the 2nd book! 

 Book Blurb

You will never forget your first date, your first kiss, or your first love. You'll also
never forget how it felt when it was torn apart.
Seventeen-year old Grace Hathaway does not give much thought to falling in love,
until the day that Ian Taylor, rebel and misfit walks into her math class. From their
first conversation, Grace is mesmerized by Ian's charisma and rock star façade.
Ian Taylor, a seventeen-year old kid from the wrong side of the tracks tries to
ignore the feelings he has for Grace, but is captured by her caring, nonjudgmental
personality from the moment they meet. Grace becomes Ian's
everything and there is nothing he will not do for her. Hurting her was never part
of his plan.
“The Falling of Love” will take you on a sweet, emotional journey of two young
adults falling in love for the first time, and then tear your heart apart when that
love is threatened by dishonesty and betrayal.
The Falling of Love is the first novel in a series of novels that will follow Grace
Hathaway's life and personal struggles. Everyone has a beginning to their story
and an end...
This is the beginning of Grace's story.





This is such an amazing and highly emotional love story. What Marisa Oldham has done with this is phenomenal. When I read her book I can't tell you how many times I found myself smiling at the pages, clutching my reader tight as the hardships became harder, and how my chest constricted when things just seemed impossible. It was just so real and beautifully written. 

We begin this story with Grace Hathaway in high school. She is shy, quiet and enjoys working on her art. Her sister Michelle is the loud flamboyant one. They lost their parents 7 years before and are being raised by their older brother James, who is a truck driver to support them. The day Grace sees Ian her world stood still. He wasn't like any boy she has ever seen. He dressed different, he looked different with his long red hair and jewelry, and he acted different. He had her attention from the first moment. Her heart wasn't far behind.

Ian Taylor dreaded starting a new school. All he wanted was getting to LA and starting up his band with his best bud Jaden. When he walked into math class and seen Grace he couldn't believe his eyes. When she talked to him he was shocked that she would. When she went out with him she made his world light up. Ian's family isn't the loving kind like Grace's and when his family problems become worse they open their house and arms to him, but things just aren't that simple.

Their love affair starts off as a sweet teen love and morphs into long lasting love of adults. The ease of teenage romance wears off and things become real for them. Then the hardships kick in and puts a true test to the strength of their love. Will it survive and will it last?

This book was emotionally wrenching and really pulls at you. You get angry, you get furious and you definitely feel sad, but you also feel and see the love between Marisa's characters and you see the confusion her characters are experiencing because of the various hurdles. This is a book you don't want to miss!! The ending is in a word ... POWERFUL!!! I am so glad I had the opportunity to read it and will definitely be in my to be read again list!



Below is a question and answer between myself and Marisa. I asked her random questions just so her fans could get to know her more. I also included the interview between Marisa and R. Lynn Archie.

Who is Marisa?!

(My interview)

Me: Just as your books inspire authors, what authors inspire you to write?

Marisa: Gillian Flynn is hands down my favorite author, but she writes dark, twisted murder mystery/thrillers, and I write love stories with a little extra spice. Just that fact that she does what she loves inspires me to at least give it a try.

Me: What is the biggest lie you have ever told?

Marisa: The Falling series is completed and published and I'll never edit it again…lies…all lies.

Me: Can you tell us about the challenges in getting your first book published?

Marisa: Heck, I didn't know ANYTHING, so it was totally easy! It just cost me a bit because learned things the hard way. If I only knew then what I know now, I would've been better prepared for what was coming.

Me: What has been the toughest criticism given to you as an author? What has been the best compliment?

Marisa: That one of  my characters is predictable and flat.
That what I created with my work was phenomenal. I mean that's a great word. Kinda hard to get over that. (Thanks Mel) (<---My own personal fan-girl moment! squee!)

Me: Do you read all your reviews and do you ever respond to them? Do you have any advice on handling negative reviews?

Marisa: I read all of my reviews it's most like an obsession. Sometimes I comment on reviews, especially if they're good ones 4-5 stars. If it's a bad review and I'm taking what the reviewer is saying personally, then I leave it alone. I don't need drama in my life…it's already in my books.

Me: What are you working on now? What is your next project(s)?

Marisa: 1) A complete overhaul of The Falling of Grace - book two in the Falling series. (started tonight 5/20/14)
2) See above, but apply it to The Falling of Hope - Third and Final book in the Falling series.
3) Finish Michelle's book - a spinoff to the Falling series about Michelle Hathaway
4) Finish writing my contemporary, BBW, romance, You Have Such a Pretty Face
5) A new book I literally just came up with will be called It Changes Everything
6) A secret project that I can't discuss because I'm sworn to secrecy.
7) A series of erotic novellas or one novel (haven't started it yet) based on character Benjamin McKay from the Falling series.

Me: Is there anything you would like to say to your readers and fans?

Marisa: If you're reading this and you like a sweet love story, that ends sour, The Falling of Love is for you. I think I have a great story in the Falling series. Each book links to the next so if you don't like cliffhangers, I promise you will get the answers you seek in the next books.
I love to talk with my readers so please feel free to reach out to me on Facebook. 

(Interview by R.Lynn Archie)

RA: Can you tell us a little about yourself?

MO: I’m 38 years old and I live in a small town in AZ with my little dog, a geriatric cat, and my
wonderful sister. I’m a professional photographer –sometimes– and I enjoy reading, long walks
on the beach (just kidding), movies, TV, and I love my family and friends. I’m a pretty simple
person.

RA: What influenced you to start writing?

MO: I’ve had Grace’s story in my mind for years. One day, after a major surgery, I just decided
that I wanted to share it. I thought I’d only share it with family and friends. I never thought that
I would have a published book!

RA: Let’s talk about book revising, which you have done with The Falling of Love. Can you tell
us what brought that on?

MO: A fellow author, and now friend, pointed out that TFOL was in need of some serious
editing. It took us two and a half months to get all the revisions done. Although through the
process it was very frustrating and tiring, now that I’ve read the final book I am beyond glad
that I took the time to make TFOL as good as I could get it. I absolutely love this book even
more than I did before.

RA: Marisa, not only have you revised your book, but it has a new cover. What was your
reason for the change, as I’m sure many curious minds want to know? Also, how did you
come about getting your new photo?

MO: I’d like to think that the story sells the book, but after polling a lot of readers and at the
suggestion of my publishing company, it was time to make a more eye-catching book cover.
Also, since I’ve added new content to The Falling of Love (TFOL), I figured starting fresh with a
new book cover as fitting. I tried to keep the original concept, a tree (those who have read the
book will understand why), and hearts falling from it. As in The Falling of Love. I was able to
recruit one of my favorite models, Danielle Kean of Ford Robert Black and Request Models NY
to play Grace for the cover and I shot it myself in 30 MPH winds. I was nervous that it wouldn’t
come out the way I saw it in my head and while it didn’t due to wardrobe and the weather
conditions, I can honestly sit here and say I’m very happy with it.


RA: Will you be revising the whole Falling Series and what can your readers expect in the
revised copy of The Falling of Love?

MO: Yes. I will begin work on The Falling of Grace (book two) next week 5/19. As soon as that is
completed and re-released, I will then begin to work on the final novel in the Falling series, The
Falling of Hope.
Readers can expect a format that clearly defines each point of view presented in the novel.
New scenes that dive deeper into Ian’s side of the story and bring the reader deeper into the
relationship between Grace and secondary characters.


Marisa Oldham


California born Marisa Oldham, now resides in Arizona
where she practices her love of writing and
photography in both a leisurely and professional
fashion.
The Falling of Love, Marisa's debut novel begins the
story of Grace Hathaway, a seventeen-year-old typical
teenager who meets and falls in love with Ian Taylor, a
rebel, misfit, outsider that is new to her small town.
Marisa has several other novels in the works. The Falling of Grace (Book Two in
the Falling series), The Falling of Hope (Book Three in the Falling series), and a
spin-off to the Falling series which will feature Michelle Hathaway as the main
character. She has almost completed writing You Have Such a Pretty Face, a
contemporary romance that will explore the self-esteem issues of the main
female character, society's views on those who are overweight, and how this
makes overweight people feel, with a romantic, witty, and heartwarming story.

Check out the links below to properly stalk Marisa!! If you drop by any of her pages tell her Mel loves her hard!! 




5 comments:

  1. Just when I think I know everything about The Falling of Love I learn something new. Great interview:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent! I'm glad I could ask her something you didn't already know!

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much Book Quarry for such a fabulous blog post! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marisa it was so much a pleasure to do this! TFOL was a brilliant book and I just can't WAIT to see what happens after than movie moment ending!!!! Have I mentioned to you how much that ending has made me jump up and down and how many times it makes my heart race when I think about it?! OMW I LOVE IT!! ♥

      Delete