Pages

Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Carrie Vaughn's Kitty Saves the World ☮Review + Interview + Givewaway☮



Kitty Saves the World
Author: Carrie Vaughn
Series: Kitty Norville Series (#14)
Genre: Paranormal/Urban Fantasy
Publisher: Tor – Forge (Imprint of Macmillan)
Release Date: August 4, 2015
Edition/Formats It Will Be Available In: eBook & Print (Mass Market)

Blurb

It's all come down to this, following the discoveries made by Cormac in Low Midnight, Kitty and her allies are ready to strike. But, when their assassination attempt on the evil vampire Dux Bellorum fails, Kitty finds herself running out of time. The elusive vampire lord has begun his apocalyptic end game, and Kitty still doesn't know where he will strike.

Meanwhile, pressure mounts in Denver as Kitty and her pack begin to experience the true reach of Dux Bellorum's cult. Outnumbered and outgunned at every turn, the stakes have never been higher for Kitty. She will have to call on allies both old and new in order to save not just her family and friends, but the rest of the world as well. 

Book Links

Amazon Kindle ☮ Amazon Print ☮ Amazon Audio/CD 

Kitty Saves the World was one of those reads that I hated to finish. Knowing this is to be the last book in the Kitty Norville series made me drag my feet in reading it. I hated to actually finish this series. Then when I opened that book up and started reading there was no putting it down. Carrie Vaughn says she is not good at world building and I have to call foul. She has built this world and it is spectacular. The descriptions are vivid and the characters are complex and real. As usual this novel can be read as a stand alone and honestly I think can be enjoyed as is, but when it has been read in order from the first book on, this book takes on a whole new meaning. It takes on a new life to the reader that they would never experience if they didn't know all the characters as deeply as they would after having read the previous 13 books.

This review was so hard to write! I really couldn't say anything about what happened in the book because I felt anything I said was a spoiler. This book was SO full of information, SO full of action and SO full of awesomeness and I didn't want to ruin ANY part of that for anyone. Those who have read this series faithfully will appreciate this once they read it to the last word and those who have yet to fall in love with the series will understand how I feel when they do. The shear amount of emotion held in these pages is immense and at times I was literally holding my chest in pain and jumping up and down with joy. This book has me in its clutches even now and even after having discussed it with a fellow reviewer who had just finished it I am no closer to coming to terms with the book. I loved it, I want more and I need to know more. This was an epic read and It will blow your minds!


How hard is it saying goodbye to Kitty and friends?
Not too bad, surprisingly.  It was really satisfying to finally play out this grand slam-bang ending I had planned out for them.  I hope I did them justice.

Do you plan to ever revisit them with novellas or is this the complete and final word?
I'm already writing more stories about Cormac and Rick.  If I get new ideas that need to be set in that world, I'll most likely tackle it.  Anything I want to write about werewolves and vampires will probably be about Kitty's world.

As a super huge fan I admit to wanting to act like a toddler when I found out this was the LAST book. Do you have outrageous reactions to finding out your favorite author has finished a beloved series?
I don't, for a couple of reasons.  I don't read many complete series to begin with -- usually just a couple of books before I move on -- so I haven't had that experience very often.  Also, I'm a really big fan of endings.  I like to see how stories get wrapped up, I like the feeling that all the actions and events are leading up to something.  A satisfying close to a good story is something that rarely happens in real life, but fiction gives us a great opportunity to create worlds where things really do happen for a reason and events really are going somewhere. I'd rather have a great ending to a story than a trickling out to nothing.

What is next for you now that you have finished Kitty’s series? What are you working on?
I'm working on a bunch of different things.  Right now I'm getting some half-finished short stories off my desk.  I'm working on stories about Cormac.  My next scheduled novel is a YA space opera called STUDY ABROAD that will be out in May 2016.

Cormac was the focus of Low Midnight and left so much undone. Will we find all of our answers answered in Kitty Saves the World to Cormac’s situation as well as Kitty’s?
I hope so, at least partly!  The events of LOW MIDNIGHT are definitely important for the next book, and I'm also writing more with Cormac.  LOW MIDNIGHT was something of a test run to see if I could write a whole novel from that character's point of view.  I could, so onward ho!

Now that you are finished with the Kitty series what character gave you the most trouble writing? Who was the easy one? The loudest?
Kitty was definitely the loudest.  I'd never had the experience of a character taking over a story until she came along.  I'm not sure who gave me the most trouble -- Anastasia the vampire, maybe, because she has such a complex historical and cultural background and I wanted to get it right.  Some of the mysterious characters like Cormac and Odysseus Grant, because I want to make them strong silent types without making them cliches.  I hope I gave all my characters a streak of individuality that made them interesting.

Would you change anything you had written in your Kitty series? If yes what and why? Personally I love it the way it is!
Yeah, I don't think about changing anything because I don't want to develop regrets.  I'm pretty proud of the accomplishment of writing a fourteen book series and having it hang together.  I'm even glad I didn't know it was going to be a fourteen book series when I started, or I would have been very intimidated!  I'm sure there are things I could change, but I'm grateful I had the chance to write these books and I wouldn't want to change that opportunity.

If you had to pick one character out of your cast to live their lives for a couple of days who would you pick? Why? (I at first was going to say Cormac so I could for once be a badass… but I have my own issues and he has so many I don’t need more. Now I’m thinking I want to be one of the cats LOL)
That's a really tough one.  In a way, I feel like I've already lived all their lives, since I've spent so much time writing them!  And while some of these big problems make for great reading, I'm not sure I'd want to live them.

What was your favorite thing about Kitty? Least favorite?
In hindsight, I love everything about her!  She's the kind of character who just keeps the story going book after book.  I love how I never knew what was going to come out of her mouth next.  I love that I got to overturn a lot of urban fantasy cliches with her.  Least favorite?  Do I have to have a least favorite?  I could say it's how often she gets into trouble but that's where the stories come from!

I just wanted to thank you for such an amazing series. Kitty’s growth through it was phenomenal as well as Ben’s. Cormac even went through a huge change. This will be like saying good bye to some long time friends. What would you say to your fans in response to our saying a huge heartfelt thank you?
Thank you for reading.  The series wouldn't have happened at all without lots of readers supporting it along the way.  That I got to fourteen books is a direct result of people buying the books and clamoring for more more more!  So, yes, I'd send a huge heartfelt thanks back.  I'm glad people enjoyed the ride.

Author Information


In addition to being the New York Times bestselling author of the Kitty Norville books, CARRIE VAUGHN is also the author of the standalone novels After the Golden Age, Dreams of the Golden Age, and Discord’s Apple, and the young adult books Voice of Dragons and Steel. Visit her online at http://www.carrievaughn.com/

  
 Author Links

Facebook Page ~ Kitty Norville
Website Carrie Vaughn’s Virtual Playground



Author’s Other Works

Kitty Norville Series

Kitty Saves the World #14 Coming 2015
Kitty’s Greatest Hits (Short Story Collection)

Stand Alones

Straying from the Path (Short Story Collection)

Golden Age

Anthologies

Dark and Stormy Nights  (Kitty Norville Short)
Hex Appeal (Kitty Norville Short)
Running with the Pack (Kitty Norville Short)
Wolfsbane and Mistletoe (Kitty Norville Short)





No comments:

Post a Comment