Pages

Thursday, February 9, 2017

Jami Gray's Marked by Obsession ↳Review & Interview↲


Some betrayals hide behind love, others obsession...
The loss of her beloved brother and a series of unexplained events plunges Meli Dwyer into a dangerously unfamiliar reality. Alone and floundering, she turns to the sexy and unsettling, Wolf Kincaid, PSY-IV Team’s skilled telepath, for help even as her battered heart whispers to steer clear of a man more dangerous than what hunts her.
Will Meli find the answers to her personal nightmare before one man’s obsession costs her the heart of another?
Buy Links
Kobo
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Muse it up Publishing





Have you ever read a book, fallen madly in love with the characters, the world and the plot then get to the end of the book and feel both excitement and frustration? I was so excited when I got to the end of this book because I hadn't read the first 2 books so I knew I could go back and get a couple more doses of this author, this world and some of these characters. I was also frustrated because I wanted MORE of this world. I can not wait for a new fix. Marked by Obsession is sensual, suspensful and emotional. The plot was strong and kept me glued to the pages. The heat between Meli and Wolf was so sexy and rich like melted milk chocolate... if you got to lick it off some ripped abs. The suspense was heart racing and twisty. This is a must read!



What is being said


“…this author has grown characters rich in personal history who are
willing to risk everything for love of each other and their duty.”


“Oooh, Ms. Gray writes really good despicable bad guys! Not to
mention, hot and sexy good guys!”

"Jami Gray just got marked on my watch list!” 




I read through your Jami’s World and saw you re-wrote the Star Wars plot to suit you. I gotta say I loved that. Have you watched another movie since where you felt the need to re-write it to give the hero a woman worthy of him, even if you only did it in your head?
Not so much movies as books, now. There is the very nifty fact that Terry Brooks’ Shannara series is now on TV and growing up, I had a my own Halfling write-in role in that one too. Nowadays, I’ve managed to write in characters to some of my favorite book series: Christine Feehan’s Ghostwalker series, Nalini Singh’s Psy-Changling and Archangel series, and man I could go on, but I won’t because the list could get long. I live in my head (I know, obviously since I write) but I tend to connect better with books than movies. Where I can re-read a book numerous times, my Knight in Slightly Muddy Armor thinks it’s weird I can only watch a movie once and then I’m like “Nah, already saw it.” When I find a beautifully crafted world, it’s easy to write in characters. It’s what I hope to accomplish with my books for readers. I want them to make their own place in the world and then go forth and play. Books that stick with us are the ones we want to stay in.
We have a lot of books in common and I have a very vivid imagination and I can continue a story, embellish one or change it if I need to!


Recently I have seen authors go to more and more lengths for research. They have been going to foreign countries, visiting FBI HQ, hanging with Navy SEALs and taking hot yoga. All to get their characters and the settings of their books just right. Have you taken extra measures like this to bring your characters and settings to life?
I would so be right there if I could. Unfortunately at this point in my life, between the day job and two college bound sons (aka The Prankster Duo), my time and funding is a bit limited. However, I will do what I can for research. For example, the PSY-IV Teams series takes place in various locations (Phoenix, Vegas, San Diego) and I do know those locations. Not just because I live in one, but because both Vegas and San Diego are travel spots for me and mine. When I’m there I tend to poke around while considering what will work for my stories. If I get a chance to grill, um politely ask questions of, someone who’s involved in the various agencies I use (USMC, DOD, etc.) I make the most of it.  For my fighting scenes, part of my research is personal experience with various self-defense training, but overall yes, I do a ton of research, and I refuse to limit how I come about that research. One of my bucket list of things to accomplish includes the Writers’ Police Academy and make it to the FBI tour for writers as well. Not sure I’ll ever jump out of a helo (yep, heights make me want to puke) or anything, but if I get a chance would I take it? Heck yeah!
It is great that you get to travel to Vegas and San Diego as well as call on others and your own knowledge for your research. All of this personal knowledge you authors are gaining really does refelct in your books. 


If you are anything like me, you talk to your dogs or they follow you step for step so they witness EVERYTHING you do good and bad. If they could talk what one story do you think they would tell us?
“Mom is so WEIRD!”
The Fur Minxes (a duo of Labs, one white, one black)
help to even out the gender scales in my testosterone driven home. Chances are good they would suggest therapy if anyone was to ask. Especially when writing, I tend to mumble manically under my breath when I’m working on stories. They really begin to wonder when I block out (get up and pretend fight with an invisible foe) my action scenes. They just can’t decide if I’ve finally lost it or it’s some strange form of human exercise.  Of course if they had opposable thumbs and a phone to record, I might be in the running for those trendy little white jackets with buckles.  I’m not the most graceful human in the world, so there have been occasion where my action scenes take on overtones of grisly accident scenes.
The visual that gives me is hilarious. I am not a graceful soul either (I say as I am sitting in my recliner with my sprained ankle up) so I can totally understand.


If you were in a bar fight what would you pick to fight with?
Pool cue, without a doubt. I’m short, my reach isn’t that far and a pool cue works on so many levels. Not only does it keep those buggers back out of grabbing range, you can bring them to their knees via applied physics to back of knees or judiciously pointing out their delicate parts.  Either way, once they’re down, now you can pick and choose how to utilize the cue: baton, staff, garrote, dull knife.  Yes, I know, I’m way too detailed on this answer, but let’s remember all of my books utilize serious fight scenes, which means you have to consider what’s available to use as a weapon.
That is the most complete and detailed answer I have ever gotten to that question! Ladies and Gents NEVER come at this woman in a bar she will kick your ass.


Pick your favorite character from one of your books and give me their theme song.
Just one? You’re so mean… I actually do this for all my characters and each of my series. It’s the only reason I have a Pinterest account. I pin music, photos, vehicles, weapons, character images and houses. It’s great a place for keeping it all together in a virtual album.  
When I was writing MARKED BY OBSESSION, I had an entire playlist for Wolf and Meli.  Wolf’s song has to be: No Easy Way by Digital Daggers.  Meli’s would be: Mercy In You by Depeche Mode.
But if you want current, I’m going with the lead from my Work in Progress which is book two of a four book, romantic suspense set against a post-apocalyptic stage, series: Havoc. His song is The Devil’s In My Veins by Yelawolf.  Still trying to pin down Mercy’s song.
I know it wasn't nice to ask for only one so I'm glad you expanded the answer. I love seeing the insite into your characters. To see her Pinterest page it is linked below. 


If you can only grab 2 things in a 30 second time frame what would it be? (Family and pets are exempt from this)
My Kindle Paperwhite and my phone since it has all my music on it. If anyone ever wanted to drive me nuts in a short time, they would only need to take away my books and music. It wouldn’t take long for a psychosis to set in. I’m one of those writers that etches out words with music playing. I use to be able to write even if the music had lyrics, but strangely, in the last year or so I’ve had to morph into soundtracks. Not sure what changed, but I’ve been increasing my Hans Zimmer, Clint Mansell, Lindsey Stirling, Jack Trammel, and (of course) Trent Reznor lists.
I had to think about this long and hard myself. I could NOT go without at least my Kindle. As long as I had that I would not go insane. I love your music as second and I thought that would be mine but the more I thought I finally landed on something to write on, but then I would need a pencil or pen LOL. 


Muscle car, sports car, a classic or a bad ass truck?
Class muscle (lean and mean). I’m all about the ’67 Mustangs.
Something about them just does it for me. Granted I’m a huge Supernatural fan, so their ’67 Impala is almost as hot (or maybe it’s who’s in the driver’s seat and riding shotgun, but still…). A couple years ago, Ford decided to bring back some of the classic body lines of that year, so I got as close as I could with a 2014 Mustang. Told the Prankster Duo they’d have to become contortionists if they wanted to ride in the back. So far the oldest manages to fold up just fine. The youngest tends to nab shotgun. Between the engine rev and lines, Mustangs make me drool.
HELL YES!! Muscle car all the way. I love that car. My oldest daughter got me into Supernatural so I really have to agree about the 67 Impala. It is a hot car filled with some delicious muscle. 


Valentine’s day is coming up. It is my least favorite holiday and I know I am in a huge minority. (If you like it) What do you like about it and would say to someone like me who is anti pink hearts? (If you don’t like it) What is it about Valentine’s day that you dislike most?
Prior to becoming one half of the adulting couple in my home, Valentine’s Day always made me cringe. I’m an introvert in RL (Real Life) and my social engagements were an endangered species. When my Knight in Slightly Muddy Armor came on stage, he managed to time it around the hearts and flowers day, and for the first time, I got roses. It was beautiful and sweet, and to this day, he makes it a point to bring at least one rosebud during that time. But prior to him—yeah, you know the original holiday centered around Romans who sacrificed goats and dogs, then took the hides and hit women with them, right? That whole Lupercalia celebration was messed up—lottery hook ups, excessive drinking, nakedness. Talk about hitting on the one you like, sheesh. Those Romans were a bit nuts. Anyway, I digress…I don’t begrudge others Valentine’s Day, but for me, I kind of prefer my Knight’s way of showing his love and appreciation—cooking meals when I’m under deadline, picking up his socks, taking out the trash before it starts a new lifeform, or making sure the coffee pot is set to go off at the appointed time. The things that make me feel most loved are his little actions that prove he pays attention to what is happening in my life. Much better than cards and flowers (which will eventually die because my thumb is all black) and chocolates that tempt me to gorge until I’m sick, and leave me feeling guilty for indulging in the first damn place.
I love this answer! It is super sweet (you know the part about your Knight in Slightly Muddy Armor) and the way you put it makes a sour puss like me readjust my thinking just a little. 


Do you make New Year resolutions/goals? If you do, are you better at keeping them than me?
Thanks to my rather obsessive…erm, goal oriented, personality, yeah I actually do. I make a list for writing and one for personal. I grew up with my mom’s voice telling me the best way to ensure I met my goals was to write those suckers down. Something about having it out there in some permanent form allows for accountability. I tend to kick butt on the writing goals, while my personal ones are a bit hit and miss most times. Now that you’re making me think about it, I’d have to say the writing ones get done because as much as I love my craft, I really do consider it a second profession, which means if I want to look good to the boss, I need to hit my goals. (Okay, considering who’s the boss, that sounds a bit deranged, but I’ll stick with it.)
This is great advice, I will have to give it a go. There may be hope for me!


I couldn’t find anything that said if you liked cooking or not. Is this something that is fun or is this a chore? Have you ever seen a dish on a movie or read about one in a book and was inspired to try to cook it?
Ever seen that meme? You know the one about summoning a demon. Hang on….where is it?...ahh…okay this one…
Yeah, that’s me in the kitchen. Cooking and I are not friends by any stretch of the imagination. Growing up in a massively huge family cooking was like a damn Olympic sport. Mac and cheese in a vat, anyone? When I was out on my own and able to cook for one versus seventeen plus, I found I had no patience for it, and it had no patience for me. Which is why I’m very glad my Knight in Slightly Muddy Armor is a closet foodie. One of us has to keep us fed. At least when he sees something on TV or runs across a compelling recipe, he’ll be brave enough to tackle it. I will be brave enough to eat it. Oh, and clean up the carnage in the kitchen when he’s done.
That is a great balance. I sometimes wish my other half could do more than burn water. Now that my daughter is old enough not to scare me gray she has been learning to cook. I look forward to the day she cooks dinner for me and I wash the dishes lol. I love that meme. I hadn't seen it before.

Thank you so much Jami for taking the time to chat with me. This has been a fun interview and quite entertaining! I can not wait to read what you have coming next and I look forward to the PSY-IV Team books!


Meet The Author

Jami Gray is the award winning, multi-published author of the Urban Fantasy series, The Kyn Kronicles, and the Paranormal Romantic
Suspense series, PSY-IV Teams. She can be soothed with coffee and chocolate. Surrounded by Star Wars obsessed males and two female
labs moonlighting as the Fur Minxes, she escapes by playing with the voices in her head.
Hunt her down at

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you! She was so much fun to think of questions for!

      Delete
  2. Mellena, I had such fun with your questions and enjoyed every minute of them and meeting you! Thank you so much for the invite.
    *waves* Hi Anna Marie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely loved getting to know you! This is one of my favorite interviews. Thank you for taking the time and I look forward to hosting more from you.

      Delete